How to use Garmin Connect — Best Tips
Garmin Connect is meant to be used alongside Garmin sports devices such as the GPS running watch and the Garmin fitness tracker. You can use Garmin Connect as a web service or as a mobile application. It is simply meant to help users become better in their various sports and generally grow healthier. With this training tool, you will be able to plan, track and review your workouts.
This guide will offer tips to help you take full advantage of Garmin Connect. You can use the following links to download the application from official stores according to your mobile device OS:
- 1 1. How Do You Create Manual Activities on the App?
- 2 2. How Can You Simplify the Snapshots Data?
- 3 3. Can You Create a Personalized Workout Plan?
- 4 4. How Can You Find New Courses?
- 5 5. How Do You Connect With Other Garmin Users?
- 6 6. How Can Your Friends Track Your Races and Other Activities?
- 7 7. How Do You Transfer Data From Your Device to the Garmin Connect App?
- 8 8. What is Activity Tracking?
- 9 9. What Are Some Easier Ways of Viewing Your Statistics?
- 10 Conclusion on using Garmin Connect
1. How Do You Create Manual Activities on the App?
Normally, you should be able to record an activity automatically. Sometimes, however, the Garmin devices malfunction or are simply unavailable. In such cases, you can manually enter an activity by going to the Activities section under the navigation bar. Then you can select All Activities and go to the Manual Activities section. Here, you can enter your activity and save it.
2. How Can You Simplify the Snapshots Data?
Snapshots are the first set of data you will see on the Garmin Connect smartphone app. The Snapshots are an analysis of your day and all the activities you have undertaken. Unfortunately, the data is not very well organized and is highly detailed. You can view the various metrics of your activities by swiping left. Then you can crop any metrics that don’t interest you. You can do this by tapping the four squares on the top right corner and removing any metric that you don’t want to see.
3. Can You Create a Personalized Workout Plan?
The Garmin Connect app is developed with an emphasis on personalization. To create personalized workout plans, you will simply need to fill in dates with special workout events such as races and competitions. Then you will have to choose your fitness level. The app will automatically fill your workout calendar with workouts and rest days. This is very similar to what expert coaches would offer.
You can also send your training plan to your Garmin Connect device for further guidance.
4. How Can You Find New Courses?
If your workouts get monotonous, you can spice things up by finding a new course. Garmin users create courses and update their activities for other people to see. You can scan an area to see what route is being used and even rank yourself against other athletes using the app. The map is color-coded to show how busy a course is. Also, you can find out what activities are popular in a certain course.
5. How Do You Connect With Other Garmin Users?
Garmin Connect has been developed as a social site. Through the app, you can find out what challenges people are engaging in within your network and also motivate yourself by watching the progress people are making.
You can open the Connections tab on your app and link up with people who have the same fitness goals as yourself. In this tab, you will be able to see their progress on a weekly basis and compare the data to your own. This is meant to provide motivation and social support since these are people who are working as hard as you are. Garmin Connect also records the details of other users who ran the course and challenges you to beat their records.
If you don’t want other users to see your activities, you can simply edit your privacy settings to Only Me. Other options include My Connections, My Connections and Groups, and Everyone. If you set your privacy to Only Me, you will not have access to groups, leaderboards, and other features.
You should also note that you cannot create a private course on OpenStreetMap since it is open source. If you wish to create private courses, then you will have to use Bing or Google Maps.
6. How Can Your Friends Track Your Races and Other Activities?
The Garmin Connect app can also track your activities and races in real time. This data is transmitted to your friends and family, although you will have to invite them via a link to your sessions. To enjoy this feature, you will need to go to the Live Track section of the app, and you will get a link to your sessions. The app will track your location and progress, including all the statistics on your race. This information will be transmitted to anyone who uses your link to watch your race.
7. How Do You Transfer Data From Your Device to the Garmin Connect App?
A lot of data will need to be transferred across your devices and the Garmin Connect app. This can be done by downloading the Garmin Express software. Alternatively, you can manually import data into the app by going to the Import section under the Activities tab. The files will have to be in .FIT, .TCX or .GPX formats. To download the latest version of Garmin Express:
Windows 7 and higher
- Go to: http://garmin.com/express
- Click Download for Windows
- Run the downloaded GarminExpress.exe or GarminExpressInstaller.exe file
- Check the box next to the terms and conditions statement
- If needed, click Options to change the install location of Garmin Express
- Click the Install button
- Once installation is complete, click the Launch Garmin Express button
Mac OS 10.10 or higher
- Go to: http://garmin.com/express
- Click Download for Mac
- Open the GarminExpress.dmg or GarminExpressInstaller.dmg file
- In the new window, double click on the Install Garmin Express icon
- Follow instructions in the installer
- Once installation is complete, close the installer
- Open the Applications folder
- Double click on the Garmin Express icon
8. What is Activity Tracking?
Some Garmin devices collect data throughout the day, and this information is fed to your app. They will track all your activities, including your sleep. Through the app, you will be able to see how much you have stuck to your schedule.
9. What Are Some Easier Ways of Viewing Your Statistics?
As noted previously, Garmin Connect collects a lot of data. This makes it harder to find what you specifically need. One simple way of viewing your stats is by going to the calendar and tapping on the specific date you need. The information is grouped conveniently so you can simply tap on the type of data you want to view.
Alternatively, you can go to the Running Snapshots and tap the graph at the bottom of the screen. From here, you can get information for different timescales. Another option would be to go to your settings and tap on Profile and Privacy. Again, you can scroll to the bottom of the page and view stats on your races.
Conclusion on using Garmin Connect
Keeping fit has been made easier with the development of apps like Garmin Connect. This tool will track your progress and connect you to people with fitness goals that are similar to yours. To enjoy the full benefits of this tool, you should follow the tips offered above.