There are 3 main options:
- Thailand City Navigator (NOSTRA) – 2,200 THB (purchase from a local Garmin dealer in Thailand) – the link above will direct you to Garmin.co.th map update, as there is no map item in the online store, nor specific description of this product
- City Navigator Southeast Asia Map from Garmin – USD 99.99 – link to Garmin map download website
FREE Garmin map for Thailand provided by:
What navigation software can be used on my iPhone in Thailand?
Quite a lot of friends and customers have problems updating their units to the latest map version. Especially with the Thai City Navigator map. Sometimes the instructions are not straightforward or you may be not too “happy” playing with the electronics and expect troubles. In reality it’s not the most difficult procedure. The map update for units with the Free Life Time Map Updates it very easy, automated process. But if you have any kind of troubles, I would be happy to help you. Comment below or send me e-mail.
Nostra – free iPhone/iPad app updated to version 3.4.2
This updated brings mostly fixes and anther improvements, including fix crash on iOS7.
Size: 95.2 MB
- Download NOSTRA from iTunes (for iPhone/iPad)
- Download NOSTRA for Android (Google Play)
- Download NOSTRA For Windows Phone
How to update the app manually
- Start the application
- Click “more”(…) on the left menu
- Click “SERVICE”
- Select fuel type and location
- Be patient. It will appear 😉
To download from iTunes click here (redirect to iTunes).
- On your iPhone/iPad go to “App Store” ()
- Click “Updates” (bottom right)
- The update should appear under “Available Updates”.
- Click “UPDATE”
NOSTRA is free. To download from iTunes click here (redirect to iTunes).
Navigation software for iPhone in Thailand
There are at least 4 options worth mentioning:
- Garmin Thailand (USD 29,99): it doesn’t have have great reviews on iTunes at the moment for version 2014.20. Latest listed is version 2014.20, but I got updated directly on my iPhone to version 2105.10
- NOSTRA, which provides FREE map with lots of Points of Interest. Also some extra features included in the latest update, such as fuel prices (related article: “Free Thai map for navigation on your iPhone/iPad updated”)
- Sygic: latest update dated October 2015 (now only USD 19,99; not long ago it was USD 33.99; could be a promo price). It covers: Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Macau. What’s interesting, it states in the description: “FEATURES
• High quality TomTom maps stored on iPhone ….“; the key word here is “TomTom” 😉
- TomTom: USD 74.99 – Thailand only, there is also South East Asia map for USD 69.99, which covers: Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand, Indonesia, Bhutan;
PAPAGO I M8 Thailand (USD 24.99)
The order listed above, has nothing to do with my preferences 😉
If you would like to share some more options, send me an e-mail; or comment here
Garmin Thailand will officially announce the newest map version sooon!!!
The latest map version hasn’t been officially announced yet, but the newly introduced by Garmin Thailand nuvi 3560LM, comes with the new map – TSM v.2013.10. We can expect the announcement in the coming days before Songran Festival.
Post Updated on 1st April:
From the size of the map file, seems like there were quite a lot of improvements.
The size of the previous “Dual Map” (TH/ENG) version – TSM 2012.40, was approximately 310 MB. The current version – 2013.10 is approximately 450 MB.
New PROMO from Garmin: Street Pilot app for iPhone for USD 19,99!
To buy, go directly to iTunes store on Apple website or search from “App Store” on your iPhone or in iTunes.
Garmin StreetPilot Thailand consist of routable, detailed map of Thailand with thousands of POI. To read more description visit iTunes Sotre
Free Thailand Map for iPad and iPhone
NOSTRA (the same map provider as for our Garmin devices), introduced FREE map for Thailand compatible with iPhone (optimized for iPhone 5), iPad and iPod Touch.
There have been some complains, but…it’s a very detailed map for Thailand and it’s completely free. Provides routing and over 830,000 points of interest (hotels, bars, restaurants, gas stations, etc.)
Available in two languages: Thai and English.
You can install it directly from your device by clicking “App Store” icon. Then search for NOSTRA.
Related Links: NOSTRA Map for Thailand
The GPS Garmin map for Thailand has been updated to version 2012.30. Formal name: Thailand Street Map version 2012.30 (TSM v.2012.30).
- Update Thailand road data.
- Update 820,000 points of interest (POIs) for navigation.
- Introduce Nostra Guide data including categories such as shopping, attractions, and restaurant.
- Update Junction Views in Bangkok and Chiang Mai (for compatible devices only).
- Add warning sound and message when approaching traffic light.
- Add new 3-D buildings in Bangkok and terrain views for up-country (for compatible devices only).
- Update telephone numbers (navigable).
- Support traffic report* (for compatible devices only).
- Update Lane Info for Bangkok, Greater Bangkok, and major cities in Thailand.
- Support automatic Thai/English map switching for dual language map (for compatible devices only).
- Improve text-to-speech or TTS (for compatible devices only).
- Support intersections search (for compatible devices only).
- Support parking lots search (for compatible devices only).
Memory requirements for TSM v.2012.30:
Thai language map = 217 MB
English language map = 199 MB
Dual map (Thai and English) = 304 MB
How to update the map:
For units under warranty (no more than 1 year from purchase date) and eligible for Free Life Time Map Update (nuvi series: 215W, or 2465, 2565, 2575, 3770, 3790V purchased on or after 1st July, 2012) – visit and register on http://www.gpssociety.com (Thai